gone to Shiloh (cvr) John/Russell (lyrics by Taupin)

Elwood

Blues
Dark wet day, leaves are blowing, fall is here. Fits with a melancholy tune.

This came from the Reunion album...Elton John, Leon Russell. This tune feels the same feel as the songs on Tumbleweed Connection to me, and boy I love that one! That was interesting, trying to say one of Leon's intros with a guitar (and at my current skill level).

Another recording exercise. Again the guitar tone got away from me but I might be getting closer.

This may drag along, I like it (the original tune right?) but I get it if you don't. :whistle:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq7o20timlv6tvh/Gone to Shiloh.mp3?dl=0

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Not an easy one to replicate.
You done good:thumbup:
Nice playing(y)
I think your guitar tone sounds great, very appropriate for this song.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Cool, glad someone liked it! My "tone whining" is because I heard it before it got away from me. I have been in an embarrassingly confusing mess trying to understand all the recording stuff but I may be on the cusp of figuring a few things out, maybe.

Yeah Moto, I wish I just sat down and did that, not so.

The chords came pretty easy just following the melody but matter of fact, some of it I listened to and thought "that's nice" and then figured out how to play something I can play that had most of the same feel to me. I totally fail under the harsh scrutiny of comparing even what I tried to play against the beautiful model I was working with. I wanted to get dynamics from the guitar to paint a landscape, so I hit a chord hard now and then. I have a hint of tremelo that rolls in after the intro on the mic input of the 314 only, intended to give the guitar a floating sound. I was too shy with the effect level and it was lost. And the meter should be just a tad faster than a dirge, but steady. That give you time to play (and hear the warts) but makes trying to sing...more trying.

Only as a result of my studies of Griff's material have I progressed enough to try a piece like this. More and more I can sit and play an old tune and find a melody I can play though the chord progression. This is functional learning to me, very cool.

Running this past the Minister of Homeland Affairs I got the slightly wrinkled nose with "gettin better?" as the commentary. Gotta love it, she still might be kinder than I would be if I didn't play and she had been running the same passages...over...and over.

regardless, it is fun to work something up and hang it out here, thanks guys.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Cool, glad someone liked it! My "tone whining" is because I heard it before it got away from me. I have been in an embarrassingly confusing mess trying to understand all the recording stuff but I may be on the cusp of figuring a few things out, maybe.

Yeah Moto, I wish I just sat down and did that, not so.

The chords came pretty easy just following the melody but matter of fact, some of it I listened to and thought "that's nice" and then figured out how to play something I can play that had most of the same feel to me. I totally fail under the harsh scrutiny of comparing even what I tried to play against the beautiful model I was working with. I wanted to get dynamics from the guitar to paint a landscape, so I hit a chord hard now and then. I have a hint of tremelo that rolls in after the intro on the mic input of the 314 only, intended to give the guitar a floating sound. I was too shy with the effect level and it was lost. And the meter should be just a tad faster than a dirge, but steady. That give you time to play (and hear the warts) but makes trying to sing...more trying.

Only as a result of my studies of Griff's material have I progressed enough to try a piece like this. More and more I can sit and play an old tune and find a melody I can play though the chord progression. This is functional learning to me, very cool.

Running this past the Minister of Homeland Affairs I got the slightly wrinkled nose with "gettin better?" as the commentary. Gotta love it, she still might be kinder than I would be if I didn't play and she had been running the same passages...over...and over.

regardless, it is fun to work something up and hang it out here, thanks guys.
Those Ministers can be quite critical but, always accept there critique as if it was gold.
They can use their governmental authority to shut the place down so....carry on with your efforts and one day you will be rewarded with a thumbs up:thumbup:

Elwood

Blues
thank ya bro! I cringe when that guy starts singing but I'm not gonna hide anymore, just like playing, I'm either gonna try or not.

You know that however the guitar came out I was channeling Moto like H E dbl toothpicks over here. When I was messing (you call it mixing) I kept going "what would Moto do?" and then go watch a few seconds of Reaper video. I have that "rock" thing down...like rock head. :)

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Hey man that's pretty good. My minister is sat here with me listening and she nods in approval, so that's a big plus :Beer:

Elwood

Blues
That's real nice Mike, thank you!

Some "protest songs" cause feelings in me. This is one. I want to learn to sing well enough to have lines like "shoulder to shoulder, side by side' come out kinda through my teeth (if you know what I mean), like with respect but still dry with cynicism.

Many, many years ago the group I was with was payed in full and told to pack up and leave as quickly and quietly as possible. The venue was a reception for a US Senator. The "straw that broke the camel's back" was playing "Ohio", a CSNY tune of the time dealing with Kent State and Nixon.

We knew better but it sure felt good. (actually surprised we got payed, that was not always the case back then.)

Your minister's nod brought a little love all the way around the world this morning. :)

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That's real nice Mike, thank you!

Some "protest songs" cause feelings in me. This is one. I want to learn to sing well enough to have lines like "shoulder to shoulder, side by side' come out kinda through my teeth (if you know what I mean), like with respect but still dry with cynicism.

Many, many years ago the group I was with was payed in full and told to pack up and leave as quickly and quietly as possible. The venue was a reception for a US Senator. The "straw that broke the camel's back" was playing "Ohio", a CSNY tune of the time dealing with Kent State and Nixon.

We knew better but it sure felt good. (actually surprised we got payed, that was not always the case back then.)

Your minister's nod brought a little love all the way around the world this morning. :)
Protest!:eek:
I love it!
I like the "Ohio" story:)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
WOW--that is a heavy duty song----don't know how I missed it in the past---must of been out of town---Your voice fits the story line PERFECT--:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: