WARNING: All GAS Heads ---DO NOT WATCH THIS

Elwood

Blues
What is this Cap'n Moto...common sense? Too late for some of us. Limited resources eh? How did he know? I do not have Siri or Alexis or any of 'em listening in.

Cudos to you and the others who do great work with recording stuff and play well!.

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
Well, one thing that is not debatable is that you can't be your best if you don't have the best gear you can get. From beginner to pro, better equipment equates to better playing. Whether or not that's a good thing is debatable.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well, one thing that is not debatable is that you can't be your best if you don't have the best gear you can get. From beginner to pro, better equipment equates to better playing. Whether or not that's a good thing is debatable.
I agree with you on that.
I've always been in the "quality first"camp when it comes to instruments and most gear.

However, this showed up in my inbox, just as I was ready to take a sledge hammer to my recording gear.
I recently did an update and I haven't recorded a thing for a week because of it.
I'm going round and round in circles between the hardware settings, software settings and the DAW settings.
I'm kicking myself in the ass for jumping on the latest update, It's take'n all my creativity away and given my a technology headache.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Yeah, Captain, in the IT industry we didn't call it leading edge, we called it bleeding edge, for good reason. Sorry to hear about your issues. I have Apple Logic 8 running on a Mac mini from 2004 with OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and it still works just a good as it did in 2008. I've switched to Ableton a few years ago because of the Session and Arrangement views but I still wait for the majority of bugs to get squashed before doing updates. Usually at least a year. I refuse to upgrade Photoshop past CS4 (but mainly because Adobe went to subscription. I'm fundamentally opposed to subscription software or lessons).

Patience. It takes patience when "fixing" "upgrades". Good luck.

Eric

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
The downside is it can suck the life out of you, if you let it.
But if you can view it as a leaning experience and take the emotion out of it, it can be a positive experience.

I just spent a couple of days integrating two new interfaces and getting proprietary drivers to play nice with ASIO4ALL
What a hoot!. But I learned a number of things in the process, which should help in other areas going forward.

Good luck with your mission. :Beer:

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
FAKE NEWS! Don't be fooled! Do not be intimidated by what appears to be common sense. You are the master of your domain. Your wallet is omnipotent. Stay the course brothers and sisters.
I would now like to initiate expulsion protocols for CaptainMoto and any other heretics lurking in the shadows.

Never mind, he did try to warn me.shrug-smiley (50x50) (2).jpg

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
When Plug and Play came along as the new buzz word in IT I told a vendor who used it once that we were very familiar with Plug and Play, it meant he plugged it in and we got to play with it for next two months trying to get it to work as advertised. End of conversation!!

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
All I can say is the title of my two favorite albums by Frank Zappa, "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar!" and "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar II".

I already have permission to be in control of what I do and what I listen to. Sorry but people telling me what to do, are just wanting to be in control, and they aren't! If I wanted preachin' I'd go to church more often.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
All I can say is the title of my two favorite albums by Frank Zappa, "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar!" and "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar II".

I already have permission to be in control of what I do and what I listen to. Sorry but people telling me what to do, are just wanting to be in control, and they aren't! If I wanted preachin' I'd go to church more often.

Well Cap, I can't disagree.
I don't much care for peach'n either and I didn't real care for him "giving me permission".
I was in a struggle caused by updates when this showed up in my inbox and it hit just seemed to hit a note with me.

Having said that, my degree of skepticism and mistrust of tech giants (and the government) is growing with every day.
I'm in the minority of people who do not and will not sign up for FaceBook, or Twtitter.
We are the product not the customers and our life secrets are being sold while we waist away our time putting our entire life into their systems.
Every minute I'm on the computer I get more paranoid about being under surveillance and every update on my phone or computer seems to have hidden benefits to those who want my data rather then helping me.
OK.....Rant Complete!

Last edited:

aleclee

Tribe of One
Staying on a set version of software is cool if it's not connected to any networks (including wireless) but if it's connected, prudent upgrading is a better idea. You don't want to be running a connected system that no longer gets security patches. A lot of the ransomware going around a while back exploited vulnerabilities that had been patched by the vendor but not applied to systems.

By "prudent" I mean waiting for a while (2-3 months) before upgrading. If by then people aren't crying about compatibility, you'll probably be fine. If so, wait until the complaints are replaced by comments that "it works now".

Basically, I suppose I'm just saying what might already have been apparent to people: upgrading ASAP can be risky but so is never upgrading.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Staying on a set version of software is cool if it's not connected to any networks (including wireless) but if it's connected, prudent upgrading is a better idea.
Yes. Agreed. :Beer: In my world there is no reason to have my music/video/photo computers connected to a network. I can connect them if needed for an update but all my software can usually be updated with downloaded exe or dmg which I do with my laptop.

Eric

Elwood

Blues
No facebook, twitter? You must be taking all the spare time I leave for Siri and Alex-us. Moto, you struck a loud chord with me there! How fortunate I am that my Mrs. is happy without voluntary surveillance also. Hell she says I'm not social anyway, so why do you need an app for that? It's bad enough when I have a dream I fell in the yard and I wake up to laundry adds on screen borders of my computer. Huxley wasn't an author, he was a harbinger.