Lesson 9 "A How - How - How"

SammyCarpenter

Blues Newbie
Hi everyone.
Lesson #9 is showing an A5, C5 and D5 chords in example 9-1. Then in example
9-2 the chords are C5, E5 ( flat) and F5.
Why are they not following the usual I, IV, V Chord progression?
Thank you.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Hello Sammy and welcome to the forum.

Not all "Blues" will follow the basic 12-bar form.

I look at it like this:

ZZ Top's "La Grange" is an example of a song that pretty much repeats the same figure on the I chord for the entire song.

The "figure" is actually just a riff using the 1-b3-4 of the minor pentatonic scale played as double-stops/power chords.

(It's actually a variation of what Griff calls the "Reverse John Lee Hooker style variation in A" in his 52 Rhythm Fills And Variations course, Ex 1-12. A variation on a variation!!:whistle:)

They play the same figure (Ex 9-1) on the I chord, A, for most of the song and then move it up to a different key, C (Fig 9-2), for the solo. It's the same figure, just moved up 3 frets. C becomes a new I chord. Then they bring it back down to A after the solo.

If you did play this figure through a I, IV, V 12-bar progression in A it would go something like this:

A5 C5 D5 for the I
D5 F5 G5 for the IV
E5 G5 A5 for the V

This is what the MG's do with the "Green Onions" riff over the I, IV, V changes in F, using yet another different variation on the rhythm.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I'm getting an error on this link. It looks as though I don't have permission to view it.
That's because I deleted it to make more room in my DropBox.

I usually delete things after about a month or two, figuring that most anybody who's gonna see it, has.

Elio

Student Of The Blues

I usually delete things after about a month or two, figuring that most anybody who's gonna see it, has.

No problem. As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short.

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK

That's a shame, there's quite a few things I've found via the search that looked well worth reading/viewing/hearing from you and others and often they're posts from way before I joined the forum. :)

Regards, John

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
That's a shame, there's quite a few things I've found via the search that looked well worth reading/viewing/hearing from you and others and often they're posts from way before I joined the forum.
If I'd have saved everything I've posted since I joined the forum I'd have to actually pay to use DropBox.:eek:

What would be the fun in that?

But seriously. If there's something you are interested in I might still have it on a flash drive somewhere.

If not, I'd be happy to do a "do over". It would hopefully be an improvement.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
If I'd have saved everything I've posted since I joined the forum I'd have to actually pay to use DropBox.:eek:

What would be the fun in that?

But seriously. If there's something you are interested in I might still have it on a flash drive somewhere.

If not, I'd be happy to do a "do over". It would hopefully be an improvement.

For videos, it is relatively easy to post them to YouTube as unlisted. That way, they won't show up on a YouTube search but you can share the URL with whomever you like and you won't run into a space limitation.