Theory course

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
really debating while I’m already in trouble for smokin a credit card for 2 of Griffs courses, anyone have his theory course and think it would be good for an old over the hill dude?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
really debating while I’m already in trouble for smokin a credit card for 2 of Griffs courses, anyone have his theory course and think it would be good for an old over the hill dude?
That's a loaded question. :whistle:

Do you feel like you're lost when you learn new music? Have you been playing a while and feel like you don't know what to do when you get tired of playing the same stuff over and over? Do you have trouble learning music without having tabs? Do you want to know why chords go together and how music works?

If you answer yes to all those questions, especially the last one, it might be a good course for you.

If you just like to play what works and don't care why it works it might not be a good course for you.

If you don't have all access pass to check it out first then perhaps wait for a sale? I know Griff has been really good about exchanging courses if the one you buy isn't quite right for you. So maybe have a backup course in mind if it doesn't meet your needs.

I am a theory geek so take any advice from me with a grain of salt, however :LOL:

Us theory geeks love to have new members :Beer:

Eric

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I started the theory course a while ago the got side tracked with BBG, After reading this thread I think I will get back to it.

ervjohns

Blues Junior
It’s a lifetime investment, really good course but it might take a long time to get through it and really own it. There are other courses that offer more instant gratification.

PCM

Spring, Texas
Thanks everyone for the replies, sounds like something I need to do........before I get to much older
Try not to let the inevitability of ageing and associated physical limitations get in the way of your enthusiasm for learning and playing the guitar.

I've noticed "physical" changes as I'm starting to cross the "70" mark. Never was talented or a good "physical" learner to begin with. Doesn't get better with age. However, the knowledge component of your guitar journey can continue and last for a lifetime despite inevitable physical decline...that's the way I view the Guitar Theory course and highly recommend it. It is a very worthwhile knowledge component of your entire guitar experience. I'm starting my third run through the course and still learning...probably have to do four. :)

Short story...went to a workshop by GH a few months ago. There were about 22 of us. Every one of us with the exception of one or two was well into the second half of a century and just as enthusiastic to learn a little more about the guitar as when we all started. I think most of us covered GH by 20-25+ years. He probably thought he was walking into an "assisted living" facility.

The point being...the Guitar Theory Course is a worthwhile component of your guitar experience and...you are not alone in your concerns and are in very, very good company. :):Beer:

Regards,

PCM

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
I am a theory guy, as I need to understand how things work. Having said that I know this guy who plays like I would like to and cannot even tell me the pitch of each of the strings. (Like "the low ones and the high ones). How satisfied are you with what you are doing?

PCM

Spring, Texas
I could write a book...but I won't. :)

I'm quite satisfied with my progress from a knowledge standpoint. I'm a knowledge, theory, preparation guy too...probably comes from a combination of genes and the career I was in. Very comfortable with the fretboard roadmap...behind on some basic guitar motor skills due to early bad habits and essentially self-taught until the age of 42.

After personal instruction began at 42 (1992) and BGU in the late 2000's, I've made more progress by a huge factor in the last 27 years than I did in the prior 30 (12 to 42)...definitely not a "natural"...70 next year...motor skill improvement is very flat and slow at this point in time...trying to practice "weaknesses"...still fun as all get out.

PCM

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
I am a theory guy, as I need to understand how things work. Having said that I know this guy who plays like I would like to and cannot even tell me the pitch of each of the strings. (Like "the low ones and the high ones). How satisfied are you with what you are doing?
thanks for your encouragment, I've always been interested in "how it all works" but spent to many years just wanting to play, I now have begun to realize I would have benefited greatly by starting out with the theory of it all

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
I could write a book...but I won't. :)

I'm quite satisfied with my progress from a knowledge standpoint. I'm a knowledge, theory, preparation guy too...probably comes from a combination of genes and the career I was in. Very comfortable with the fretboard roadmap...behind on some basic guitar motor skills due to early bad habits and essentially self-taught until the age of 42.

After personal instruction began at 42 (1992) and BGU in the late 2000's, I've made more progress by a huge factor in the last 27 years than I did in the prior 30 (12 to 42)...definitely not a "natural"...70 next year...motor skill improvement is very flat and slow at this point in time...trying to practice "weaknesses"...still fun as all get out.

PCM
I can relate greatly to the bad habits, starting to get the fretboard under my belt and that has definatly helped. abgu has been a tremendous help (thats where i found about a lot of my bad habits) I see your from Spring, have you ever been to Backwoods Saloon at the end of 1488 @45 on jam sundays? Every other sunday starting at 3 pm till about 8 pm. Ive never played because my confidence isnt there yet, it has been mostly blues with a little country now and then. My wife and I really enjoy it when we get to go.

PCM

Spring, Texas
I can relate greatly to the bad habits, starting to get the fretboard under my belt and that has definatly helped. abgu has been a tremendous help (thats where i found about a lot of my bad habits) I see your from Spring, have you ever been to Backwoods Saloon at the end of 1488 @45 on jam sundays? Every other sunday starting at 3 pm till about 8 pm. Ive never played because my confidence isnt there yet, it has been mostly blues with a little country now and then. My wife and I really enjoy it when we get to go.
I've heard about it but haven't visited yet...is it an "open mic" with a paid audience or an unpaid, open jam, all skill levels?

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
I've heard about it but haven't visited yet...is it an "open mic" with a paid audience or an unpaid, open jam, all skill levels?
Unpaid open mic, they’ve had some really decent blues bands the last couple times we were there

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
I think I found it on a map program...east of 45, 1488?

Can’t find a website...is tomorrow one of the “jam” Sundays?....
Sorry PCM for the late reply, yes get off 1488 stay right, at end of road take a left follow around it’ll be on your left. You googled “Backwoods Saloon” Conroe?

RobertCress

Blues Newbie
Sorry PCM for the late reply, yes get off 1488 stay right, at end of road take a left follow around it’ll be on your left. You googled “Backwoods Saloon” Conroe?
And yes tomorrow is open jam night, not sure if I can make it but I’m gonna try. Let me know if you go, would like to meet you?