Electric Guitars Les Paul for blues ?

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
"for blues" it's always a strange question. You can play anything on any guitar (well within reason flamenco on an explorer would be interesting). What is more important is how you bond. A lot of great blues (some may argue most:rolleyes:) is played on a strat. However I don't really bond with mine and like humbuckers and fixed bridges. So I wouldn't recomend a strat. Many would disagree and of course they are right. Can someone play great blues on an SG. Yes of course. Can you? probably not as you are not bonding. Sell it and find something you like. You will make great music (of any genre) together.

cheers

Al.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
"for blues" it's always a strange question. You can play anything on any guitar (well within reason flamenco on an explorer would be interesting). What is more important is how you bond. A lot of great blues (some may argue most:rolleyes:) is played on a strat. However I don't really bond with mine and like humbuckers and fixed bridges. So I wouldn't recomend a strat. Many would disagree and of course they are right. Can someone play great blues on an SG. Yes of course. Can you? probably not as you are not bonding. Sell it and find something you like. You will make great music (of any genre) together.

cheers

Al.
exactly right

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

cheers

Al.
I guess that's partially my problem, except if I don't bond with one, I put it in the spare bedroom. Sooner or later, I seem to end up bonding with everything I own... except that damn Jay Turser solid body electric resonator!

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Love your logic Cap'n. I have to agree with most people on here, get an LP but keep the strat. You could always upgrade with better pickups and hardware on the Strat. I have several guitars, ( doesn't everyone?) but my LP traditional in the picture to the left is one of the loves of my life.

aleclee

Tribe of One
"for blues" it's always a strange question. You can play anything on any guitar (well within reason flamenco on an explorer would be interesting).
So true! Not to pick on the OP but these sorts of questions often leave me scratching my head. On the other hand, I seem to recall that, prior to SRV, a Strat wasn't really considered appropriate for blues so maybe some blues players are particularly dogmatic when it comes to gear.

If I make it to another BGU Live, I'm pretty certain I'll be toting a Strandberg. If anyone has an issue with that...let's just say that I won't be losing any sleep about it. :p

ebc5ae4ebe617f5296fb4b6ae22be1c1.jpeg

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
Well, I got kind of a "Go" from my CFO, all I now need is a date with the guy selling the LP to give it a closer inspection and test play it.
Love your logic Cap'n. I have to agree with most people on here, get an LP but keep the strat. You could always upgrade with better pickups and hardware on the Strat. I have several guitars, ( doesn't everyone?) but my LP traditional in the picture to the left is one of the loves of my life.
I can understand that - it looks great ! Had a LP Traditional some weeks ago (borrowed from a friend) and really loved it. Very well balanced, amazing sound and feel. Couldn´t afford it, though.
If your SG is neck heavy, then you will probably not play it. A Les Paul is my go to. Also Flying V’s. Lol
Neck heavy AND feeling like sticking out too far to the left when played sitting.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I was going to say it looked like little more than a strat with crooked frets and chunks removed in a decidedly non-artfull manner, but if it has a fully functional pan flute bridge, then it is a lot more! :D