Backing Tracks

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Just to throw my 2 cents in.... I have hundreds of jam tracks on my computer that I "Jam" along to. The Backing tracks mentioned in the first two posts on this thread let you pick and choose which instruments you want playing for actual songs. Yes, even I use the terms interchangeably, but I do agree that they are two different things. Jam tracks are generic tracks that I improvise leads over. I use backing tracks to help in learning and playing to a specific song.

Carry on...

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The difference I'm referring to is in why the track was created. Not in how you or I might use it.

A group goes into a recording studio to record a song.

In the old days, they would have recorded it "live" with everybody doing their thing all at once. (Usually resulting in a lot of takes.)

With the advent of multi-tracking, they can now lay down a rhythm track (backing track), usually with drums, bass and maybe some guitar.

Then they can come back later, either together or separately, and overdub vocals, solos and whatever.

Now-a-days they can even record each individual thing on a separate track.

And even email the backing track to other artists anywhere in the world for their input.

The link provided in the OP is selling (Legally??) actual backing tracks to actual songs that were actually recorded by actual "well known" groups.

Some groups record backing tracks to use during a performance. This way they can add instruments and parts they wouldn't otherwise be able to play live. Some might even record the main vocal and just sing along (or pretend to sing......Ashlee Simpson on SNL??:rolleyes:).

(Think of seeing a computer on stage and hearing backup singers that you can't seem to find onstage anywhere.)

I first saw this sort of thing in college when Josh White Jr gave a "solo" concert backed up by a big ol' reel to reel tape player.

A jam track is usually a "generic" example of some kind of specific type of progression, usually done by some commercial outfit that records tracks for practicing and working on improvising. They may be in the "style" of some well known song, but they are not the actual backing track used by the original artist.

Last April we had a challenge learning Griff's song "Someone" from his new CD.

He provided his actual backing track and our job was to overdub chords, the solos and even vocals, if we wanted to.
This was not a jam track for improvising our own solo. It was to try to re-create Griff's song, note for note.

He also has several collections of jam tracks, covering a variety of styles and feels in a variety of keys. These are for improvising.

Sure you can jam over a backing track and you can overdub parts to a jam track.

But those weren't the intended purposes they were originally recorded for.

**A backing track is created for backing and a jam track is created for jamming.**

Seems too simple.o_O

Disclaimer: These are not "official" definitions. And I did say there's a difference for anyone who feels "nitpicky".

And I hadn't seen @Ted_Zeppelin's comment prior to writing this. Otherwise I would have just agreed with him and kept my mouth shut.

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
The difference I'm referring to is in why the track was created. Not in how I might use it,

In the old days, they would have recorded it "live" with everybody doing their thing all at once. (Usually resulting in a lot of takes.)

With the advent of multi-tracking, they can now lay down a rhythm track (backing track), usually with drums, bass and maybe some guitar.

Then they can come back later, either together or separately, and overdub vocals, solos and whatever.

And even email the backing track to other artists anywhere in the world for their input.

The link provided in the OP is selling (Legally??) actual backing tracks to actual songs that were actually recorded by actual "well known" groups.

Some groups record backing tracks to use during a performance. This way they can add instruments and parts they wouldn't otherwise be able to play live. Some might even record the main vocal and just sing along (or pretend to sing......Ashlee Simpson on SNL??:rolleyes:).

(Think of seeing a computer on stage and hearing backup singers that you can't seem to find onstage anywhere.)

I first saw this sort of thing in college when Josh White Jr gave a "solo" concert backed up by a big ol' reel to reel tape player.

A jam track is usually a "generic" example of some kind of specific type of progression, usually done by some commercial outfit that records tracks for practicing and working on improvising. They may be in the "style" of some well known song, but they are not the actual backing track used by the original artist.

He provided his actual backing track and our job was to overdub chords, the solos and even vocals, if we wanted to.
This was not a jam track for improvising our own solo. It was to try to re-create Griff's song, note for note.

He also has several collections of jam tracks, covering a variety of styles and feels in a variety of keys. These are for improvising.

**A backing track is created for backing and a jam track is created for jamming.**

Seems too simple.o_O

Disclaimer: These are not "official" definitions. And I did say there's a difference for anyone who feels "nitpicky".

And I hadn't seen @Ted_Zeppelin's comment prior to writing this. Otherwise I would have just agreed with him and kept my mouth shut.

All of this discussion about pre-recorded tracks being used during live performances is really upsetting. It's bringing back bad memories of the Milli Vanilli scandal. :)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I always thought a jam track was for me to practice solos over, or playing something to accompany the rhythm

where as a backing track, and I have a ton of them, is something like..................oh, recently, I decided to learn the hawaii five o theme, so the backing track has all the instruments, and I play the main lick over it type of thing

Oh, if anyone wants a ton of backing tracks, or jam tracks, let me know, I have a bunch uploaded to my dropbox, shoot me a PM

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Led Zeppelin didn't create a backing track for Dazed And Confused so that I could have something to jam over.

Although I can now purchase that very same backing track and do just that.

Or do a one man tribute show using it to back myself up.

(Though I wouldn't dare.)

In the VJR, @Many Moons and @paparaptor often upload backing tracks they created with drums, bass and some rhythm guitar.

Some may download one of these tracks and use it for jamming.

Some will overdub some lead and send it back.

Some will jam to it for awhile, then overdub some lead.

So I guess while you're jamming it's a jam track and while you're overdubbing it's a backing track.o_O

Last edited:

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Oh, if anyone wants a ton of backing tracks, or jam tracks, let me know, I have a bunch uploaded to my dropbox, shoot me a PM

Guitar Technique magazine has 4 free jam tracks every monthly issue. I have subscribed to it for years. You do the math.
I have hundreds (at least approaching 100) of True Fire courses and every course has dozens of jam tracks.
I purchased BGU's set of jam tracks and True Fire's premium set of 200 jam tracks.
I purchase the Big Book of Backing Tracks, 200 of them and, to fuel the argument, are actually jam tracks, IMHO :rolleyes:
I have a bunch (50?) that I purchased from Robert Renman. Some are jam tracks. Some are backing tracks (Black Magic Woman, The Thrill is Gone, etc)
I have both albums of the Coffee Break Grooves Backing Tracks for Blues, for a total of 16. Which, again, to me are jam tracks.
This is before considering all the stray jam tracks I have accumulated over the years.

So if I should ever get to where I think I am ready to try soloing, I'm set!!!;):cool::rolleyes::LOL:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Just to muddy the waters what would Griffs tracks you buy be classified as lol
Top notch, real band (not MIDI) some I only use for practice, but he has created some with just Bass, Drums and rhythm guitar. Some of which I use in my show.

KurtTrampler

Blues Newbie
The difference I'm referring to is in why the track was created. Not in how you or I might use it.

Seems too simple.o_O

I love the disclaimer; I do it too.

Good explanation, never really gave it a thought ... and was incorrect all these years.

BTW, IMHO, I don't much like how much post processing goes into music. Music for me is all at once.