This crap is addicting

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Since my wrist has been hurting---I figured I would go in there and mess with the recorder---I put probably 9 hours into it yesterday (maybe more) that is the longest time I have ever been in that room, and still don't know crap about it. I do know what DOES NOT WORK-----I covered all them bases several times yesterday. It is 6:00 AM and I am chomping at the bit to get up there and do it again. Addicted :sick:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Right:eek:
I'm spending more time on recording & mixing then I do playing:confused:
Yeah, like I mentioned in another thread, I had to choose between playing and recording. I chose playing though I still do simple recording from time to time. It's not a hobby its a career!
Eric

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm never gonna be a great player, a top notch recording engineer, a pro mixer or an award winning song writer.

My approach to playing has been to get good enough to make my own music.
My gear acquisition strategy has been to get the best I can afford.
Why?.......so I can eliminate the crutch of blaming the gear for any short coming in my results.

My approach to recording & mixing has been to get good enough to capture and present my music in manor that others find pleasing.
For the same reason I go for quality gear, I'm hoping to achieve quality recordings, making the recording process transparent to the listener.
I hope to have the listener enjoy the final song without distractions of poor recording techniques.

I haven't achieved that yet but I hope to get there in time.
At this moment, I'm feeling I've reached a reasonable plateau in my learning, It's now time to put it all into action.

I have no desire to record marching bands, orchestras or, for that matter, anyone other then myself.
Given it's only me and my instruments in my room, I'm approaching a point where think I can set up a few "templates" that should make my recording sessions go smoother and hopefully deliver consistently good results. Ha Ha!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Any digital recording software I have looked at or used, is nether intuitive or easy to learn.

They really have a far way to come in terms of their UI.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
distractions of poor recording techniques.
HUMMM---I think you just covered my problem. I also think my Zoom R-24 is at it's last rodeo---Channels 2 & 3 don't work anymore---
my Channels & Master volume has to be up damn near to the top to get any volume...My new P.A. head has a cooling fan on it that the mic's pickup ---(SHHHHHH). And when I record the Master take and put it on thumb drive it don't come out at the same volume as recorded.
FRUSTRATING to say the least----(and discouraging)---oh well

Last edited:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Don't forget to take constant breaks, even for 10 minutes at a time for the sake of your ears and sanity (y) I am unfortunately an habitual tweaker in the studio so it takes me ages to get to a final mastered song. But then
again, what's the rush :LOL: it's a fascinating journey, good luck.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
nly one thing for it Dave...... a whole new Moto style studio, full of new gear. Just tell the wife you have my permission.:D
I got a better, cheaper idea----A new Cassette recorder. (Old school). Everything on one take live. If no one likes it OH WELL.. I probably would not sound any worse than after 9 hours trying to sound good. But it is a challenge. (but I could be fishing.):)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I got a better, cheaper idea----A new Cassette recorder.

I recorded a whole bunch of live stuff in the late 60's/early 70's with an old Roberts tube type reel-to-reel and a pair of Electrovoice 664 mics. If it was for someone else, it was at 7.5 inches per second. If it was for my archives it was at 15 ips. Unfortunately, neither the recorder nor the tapes are still among the living, AFAIK.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Dave,
Bite the bullet and just pick up a new Zoom.
That will minimize your learning curve and get you back up and running with new gear.
They make some pretty nice stuff for not a lot of $$.

Although you've got a R24...how many channels do you really need? Look at the Zoom R8 for $299
If you want more and maybe even a mixer for live stuff, look at the Zoom LiveTrack L-12 for $499.
Cut back on beer for a month or two and you'll have all the $ you'll need.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1008--Zoom--Digital_Multitrack_Recorders

Or.......check this out six channel gizmo for $399
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H6--zoom-h6-handy-recorder

One more piece of gear:..........I love the way this thing looks.
They are phasing these out and most places are offering them at a discount price.
Well built, top notch piece of gear with a beautiful color screen and built in CD burner.

Here's a Demo unit for $399
https://reverb.com/item/10525047-tascam-tascam-dp-24sd-24-track-digital-portastudio-demo-unit

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Yeah; your right Capn.--( not on the beer thing 3-4 a day at max). I think I'll get that Zoom-R16 that is on Sweetwater $399--they are virtually the same as the R-24 with 8 less channels-- I don't use very many channels. "SATISFIED" had the most channels I ever used. 7 I'll do it today-that way it will get here before Sharon gets back from North Carolina---:sneaky:--she will never know the difference. I am going to take the P.A. head back today and exchange it for another one. That fan is annoying.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Yeah; your right Capn.--( not on the beer thing 3-4 a day at max). I think I'll get that Zoom-R16 that is on Sweetwater $399--they are virtually the same as the R-24 with 8 less channels-- I don't use very many channels. "SATISFIED" had the most channels I ever used. 7 I'll do it today-that way it will get here before Sharon gets back from North Carolina---:sneaky:--she will never know the difference. I am going to take the P.A. head back today and exchange it for another one. That fan is annoying.

I gotta tell ya, for $399 I'd jump on that TASCAM...........that's a real nice setup.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Dave,
Bite the bullet and just pick up a new Zoom.
That will minimize your learning curve and get you back up and running with new gear.
They make some pretty nice stuff for not a lot of $$.

Although you've got a R24...how many channels do you really need? Look at the Zoom R8 for $299
If you want more and maybe even a mixer for live stuff, look at the Zoom LiveTrack L-12 for $499.
Cut back on beer for a month or two and you'll have all the $ you'll need.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1008--Zoom--Digital_Multitrack_Recorders

Or.......check this out six channel gizmo for $399
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H6--zoom-h6-handy-recorder

One more piece of gear:..........I love the way this thing looks.
They are phasing these out and most places are offering them at a discount price.
Well built, top notch piece of gear with a beautiful color screen and built in CD burner.

Here's a Demo unit for $399
https://reverb.com/item/10525047-tascam-tascam-dp-24sd-24-track-digital-portastudio-demo-unit

My DP-24 is fantastic for recording a band live. It's WAY overkill for recording myself just playing lessons.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I all ready got the R-16--$399---and it was not one minute too soon----#4 channel just bit dust about 15 minutes ago. So now I am down to 4 channels and the master volume is going next I can tell by the way it is acting----