[Not Blues] Some random acoustic fingerpickin'

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I learned these the first year I started guitar, 2012, during session 10 of the Gibson Learn and Master course (pre-BGU for me). I was going through some papers and found the sheet music. Thought I'd give them a try for old times sake. Took a few run throughs to get through them. :whistle: I put the best takes all on one recording, sorry about the length. (about 5 minutes)

1. Cannon in D - Pachelbel arr. Steve Krenz
2. Session 10 Intro - Steve Krenz
3. Michelle - Lennon and McCartney - arr. Fingerpicking the Beatles

Eric

Random finger pickin' tunes

Sweet. I enjoyed that medley and I also enjoy playing without a pick, but I only know a handful of songs I can play that way. And none of them involve incorporating the melody with a bass line, which sounds very cool. Every so often I think about picking up one of those hybrid nylon acoustics with a medium size nut, and venturing deeper into this style of play. I've let a couple of nice ones slip away due to procrastination. so much to learn, so little time, and so much of that being wasted. :(

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Sweet. I enjoyed that medley and I also enjoy playing without a pick, but I only know a handful of songs I can play that way. And none of them involve incorporating the melody with a bass line, which sounds very cool. Every so often I think about picking up one of those hybrid nylon acoustics with a medium size nut, and venturing deeper into this style of play. I've let a couple of nice ones slip away due to procrastination. so much to learn, so little time, and so much of that being wasted. :(
Thanks Eblues!
I’ve seen those hybrids on a couple of web vendor sites and kind of wondered about them. I’ve played around with some classical style nylon string guitars at a music store but never thought enough about them to buy one. The wider neck is fine but I’m not sure how much I’d like the flat fingerboard. I have two steel strings and they seem to do fine for this style of play, as far as I can tell.

Eric

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Excellent! (y)(y)(y)
Very enjoyable listen.
Carnegie Hall, here you come:Beer:

I agree with Davy, great recording to.
Can you tell us your set up?

Last edited:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Excellent! (y)(y)(y)
Very enjoyable listen.
Carnegie Hall, here you come:Beer:

I agree with Dave, great recording to.
Can you tell us your set up?
Thanks Captain!

Simple setup for that recording. Seagull S 6 Original into a Fishman Aura di into a BOSS microBR recorder. I used a George L cable from the guitar to the direct injection box and a short 18” George L cable from the di to the recorder. To render the .mp3 I just used the default preset in the microBR’s mastering toolkit, which I think added a hint of reverb.

Eric

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Very nice playing Eric. Maybe you can give us a little live fingerpicking serenade at Lake George this fall:thumbup:.

WimVD

Every day I have the blues
I learned these the first year I started guitar, 2012, during session 10 of the Gibson Learn and Master course (pre-BGU for me). I was going through some papers and found the sheet music. Thought I'd give them a try for old times sake. Took a few run throughs to get through them. :whistle: I put the best takes all on one recording, sorry about the length. (about 5 minutes)

1. Cannon in D - Pachelbel arr. Steve Krenz
2. Session 10 Intro - Steve Krenz
3. Michelle - Lennon and McCartney - arr. Fingerpicking the Beatles

Eric

Random finger pickin' tunes

Great playing, Eric, very smooth.
I've completed Gibson L&M as well before starting BGU, so I remember myself struggling with Canon in D some years ago.

Wim.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Wim! I think Cannon in D is the point that divides those who will actually finish that course and those who won't. Many, if not all, of the people who skip that Cannon tend to give up on the course. At least that's how it was when I was on that forum.

Eric

WimVD

Every day I have the blues
Indeed, Eric. Too many do not get much further than session 10 or 11, and only very few make it all through the end. I'm regularly on the new Guitar Gathering Forum that Steve Krenz set up after the old L&M site was abandoned. There is still some interesting exchange going on there as well, but there is more activity on the BGU forum here.
Wim.