AAP session or mini-course suggestion

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Was out mowing the yard this morning, and had Griff's new record streaming in my ear. I like listening to music while I'm mowing because it's one of the few times when I feel like I can zone out, concentrate on what's playing, and really listen to the music. There were a couple of times this morning when I was struck with the tasty licks the horn section was playing and my thought was that they were very much horn licks and not something you would play instinctively on the guitar.

So here's my suggestion. Do an AAP session with Mrs Griff (if she would be willing and interested in it - a couple of the licks were all her on the sax) on crafting interesting horn licks. How is her approach to the song different from the way that Griff approaches it as the guitar player? Or maybe do a mini course on translating horn licks to guitar. By the time I was done with the yard, I was intrigued trying to figure out what it was about some of those specific licks that screamed horn to me and why we don't cop them as guitar players. It's all music, but it seems the horn section may not be thinking about it from the same perspective that guitar players do.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'd love to hear Laura's thoughts about it, but I'm pretty sure that she doesn't write the horn parts and that her answer would be "I play what is written on the page". Back with the old horn section (Ken, Mike & Laura) Ken did the horn arrangements. I know they had a Nashville friend do some of the new arrangements but I don't know if he did them all (and I don't remember his name).