your perfect rig?

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I come from the school that the amp makes a difference when you select a pedal. Probably the biggest question is if it's SS or Tube. And that alone has opened many can of worms threads of hundreds of comments. Beyond that I do believe that certain pedals work better with certain amps. I've been using the Nace for several years and my pedals work well.

I'll just tell you what I use which is not necessarily best for you.

Amp 1) Nace Pro 18 combo
  1. I don't think you can go wrong with the Fulltone OCD. I'm more of a dist/OD man than a tube screamer man.
  2. I like having a Klone clone. There are many available like the Wampler Tumnus. Mine is the J Rocket - Archer Ikon
  3. The most important pedal is the tuner. It's mandatory.
  4. This is the set up on this amp I've had for a couple of years. 3 pedals.
Amp 2) Pro-18 Head with Carvin vintage stack. I have a few more pedals set up for no apparent reason so I'll just list them.
  1. Tuner
  2. Pigtronics mini compressor - rarely used - not necessary for Blues
  3. TC Electronic Spark boost - rarely used - I might stack it with the overrated special when I don't want much overdrive/distortion.
  4. MoJo MoJo - I bought it to use at open jams as a boost with hair when I take a lead solo. Rarely used at home. It's only in the chain just cuz I have it and when I go to a jam I need to know how it works.
  5. Way Huge Overrated Special - love this pedal I use it all the time and stack it with one of the next two pedals. I use it like a Klone clone.
  6. Wampler Clarksdale - this is my tube screamer. I use it sometimes
  7. Wampler Euphoria - I use this one mostly
  8. I mostly use pedals 5 6 or 7. not more than 2 at a time.
My tone is pretty basic. I like to think that I get more out of my hands this way? You might want to consider what Griff will provide for you at any BGU Live as a consideration of what are basic needs. He provides 1) a tuner, 2) a tube screamer, 3) a dist/overdrive. In my opinion that's all you need. Since I'm less of a tube screamer man, I like to substitute a Klone clone for added presence and feel.

I just got the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe in the mail this morning so I'm looking forward to using it.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I come from the school that the amp makes a difference when you select a pedal. Probably the biggest question is if it's SS or Tube. And that alone has opened many can of worms threads of hundreds of comments. Beyond that I do believe that certain pedals work better with certain amps. I've been using the Nace for several years and my pedals work well.

I'll just tell you what I use which is not necessarily best for you.

Amp 1) Nace Pro 18 combo
  1. I don't think you can go wrong with the Fulltone OCD. I'm more of a dist/OD man than a tube screamer man.
  2. I like having a Klone clone. There are many available like the Wampler Tumnus. Mine is the J Rocket - Archer Ikon
  3. The most important pedal is the tuner. It's mandatory.
  4. This is the set up on this amp I've had for a couple of years. 3 pedals.
Amp 2) Pro-18 Head with Carvin vintage stack. I have a few more pedals set up for no apparent reason so I'll just list them.
  1. Tuner
  2. Pigtronics mini compressor - rarely used - not necessary for Blues
  3. TC Electronic Spark boost - rarely used - I might stack it with the overrated special when I don't want much overdrive/distortion.
  4. MoJo MoJo - I bought it to use at open jams as a boost with hair when I take a lead solo. Rarely used at home. It's only in the chain just cuz I have it and when I go to a jam I need to know how it works.
  5. Way Huge Overrated Special - love this pedal I use it all the time and stack it with one of the next two pedals. I use it like a Klone clone.
  6. Wampler Clarksdale - this is my tube screamer. I use it sometimes
  7. Wampler Euphoria - I use this one mostly
  8. I mostly use pedals 5 6 or 7. not more than 2 at a time.
My tone is pretty basic. I like to think that I get more out of my hands this way? You might want to consider what Griff will provide for you at any BGU Live as a consideration of what are basic needs. He provides 1) a tuner, 2) a tube screamer, 3) a dist/overdrive. In my opinion that's all you need. Since I'm less of a tube screamer man, I like to substitute a Klone clone for added presence and feel.

I just got the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe in the mail this morning so I'm looking forward to using it.

Good luck!!
Isn't a tube screamer considered a type of distortion/ overdrive? I'm not questioning that it isn't, but need to be educated on that.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Hey Jack why you got that puppy wrapped up in the sheets?
My guess MARTIN 000-28 sunburst-----I was really hoping he would write back an say---"MONOPRICE"----but I don't think thats gonna happen knowing Jack----I bet a couple "RATTLESNAKE RATTLERS" would make it sound a lot better----(that is a personal joke between me and Jack):):):)---P.S. I still got um---if you need um.:):):) or I might send them over to Davy in Ireland, I know they ain't got no desert rattle snakes over there---:eek::eek::eek: I HOPE>

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Isn't a tube screamer considered a type of distortion/ overdrive? I'm not questioning that it isn't, but need to be educated on that.
Yes it absolutely is. But it shapes the waveform a little differently than a non tube screamer OD/distortion. I think it bumps up the mid ranges a bit. I can't say that I'm homed in on the frequencies so much as much as the tone. As I play more humbucker guitars that is less important to me. I do like my Clarksdale pretty much as it has a little different tone and I use it occasionally.

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Interesting.
I'm not sure I could tell the difference between any version.
I wonder if @Griff ever got one and if so, what's his take on it.
I have not, yet. That being said, it depends on the situation for which one I'd prefer. Sometimes the original is best, sometimes I like the Keeley mod... just depends.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Tubescreamer is considered a soft clipping overdrive, distortion is hard clipping like The ProCo Rat or Boss DS-1

JN99

Hang Fire
By far my favorite setup is a Tom Anderson guitar -> Helix -> whatever speaker/cab is available or around. Most fun of course is running into a 4x12 :cool: At home the speaker is an Alto TS310. I had an Atomic CLR but it was overkill for my needs and I didn't care for the sound of it anyway.

Before the Helix of all my pedals the JHS AT (Andy Timmons) was my fav OD but the Helix has weaned me off pedals completely and this guitar/modeler setup has essentially cured me of GAS in general.