Impulse Response...

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
He mentioned that he has S1-4, I have S1-3 I wonder if that's the difference.
I'll try looking again fro instructions.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Great! Now Audacity crashes every time I try to open Pulse.

Is the universe trying to tell me to stop playing with these things and get back to practicing?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

I have S1-3 Artist and S1-4 Prime. Neither has an option to add a VST plug-in.
I'll revisit Audacity later today. I had a session crash on me yesterday and I left it and went to Cubase. I'll try it again.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Great! Now Audacity crashes every time I try to open Pulse.

That's what mine is doing as well. I even completely removed Audacity and did a fresh installation to 2.3.0. First time i enabled Pulse, Audacity hung. Since then, it crashes Audacity every time Pulse is selected.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
@cowboy mentioned he didn't see a way. I spent a little time yesterday looking for any documentation on Studio One Artist. All the directions I saw showed adding to Studio One (not Artist). I read in several other places that if you have S-One Artist, you will need to upgrade to a 'full' version of Studio One in order to add it. If there is a hack or a way to do it in Artist, Google doesn't appear to know about it.

talking with the engineer at SW, you can purchase a pack to add VST's, etc. to the Artist versions of Presonus Studio One 4...cost is about $80..if you have the Professional version, it is included...you can upgrade any of the Studio One versions but you'll have to pay...I'm looking at a "student" price on the Pro version...I'd like to have a decent DAW besides Audacity at a decent price...maybe wishful thinking but we'll see...later.

cowboy

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
talking with the engineer at SW, you can purchase a pack to add VST's, etc. to the Artist versions of Presonus Studio One 4...cost is about $80..if you have the Professional version, it is included...you can upgrade any of the Studio One versions but you'll have to pay...I'm looking at a "student" price on the Pro version...I'd like to have a decent DAW besides Audacity at a decent price...maybe wishful thinking but we'll see...later.

cowboy
Did you try the instructions in the link above? The website doesn't mention anything about an add on but says that the scanner should pick it up even with the artist version.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I just d/l'ed and installed Reaper and it accepted the Pulse loader without issue. This is also my first experience with Reaper and it really is easy to get started with it.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Did you try the instructions in the link above? The website doesn't mention anything about an add on but says that the scanner should pick it up even with the artist version.

Kevin...thanks and yes I did... but this backs up what Derek said...

Please open Studio One and go to Studio One>Options>Locations>VST Plugins and verify that you have the correct directory added to the list of folders that the program scans at startup. You want to add the directory that you have your plug-ins installed to. If you do not see the "VST Plug-ins" tab under the Locations tab, then you want to make sure that you have activated Studio One Professional or you have installed the VST, AU, and ReWire support add-on if you are running the "Artist" version of Studio One. Press the "Reset Blacklist" button while you are in this window."

no big deal...I just picked up the Studio One 4 Artist version plus support pack under an educational pricing ($129.90)...no need for the Professional version....plus Sweetwater has their own tech support that will help with any issues...figured it was about time I got a better DAW version anyway....been playing with their free version for a while and like it...later.

cowboy

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If anyone has an old version of Presonus Studio One and would like to upgrade to the latest version Studio One-4 ( $49.99 from Sweetwater or Presonus), Let me know I can make you a deal. I bought two by mistake. They aren't returnable, but they ARE transferable. $30. You can install it on up to 5 machines.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I now have Pro Tools First, Cubase Elements 6, Cubase Elements 9.5, Reaper, Studio One V3-Artist, Studio One V4-Prime installed, Audacity and Adobe Audition 1.5. My computer is starting to look like my music room.

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
Here are quite a few more...

Impulse Pack 1

Impulse Pack 2

...later.

cowboy
Where did you get those, Cowboy? The others you posted I too downloaded from Redwirez, but this looks like a different set.

I'm evaluating a copy of Reaper, and more interested in applying IR's to the input rather than to an existing file which supposedly I can do with Reaper, but haven't gotten that far in the tutorial.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I now have Pro Tools First, Cubase Elements 6, Cubase Elements 9.5, Reaper, Studio One V3-Artist, Studio One V4-Prime installed, Audacity and Adobe Audition 1.5. My computer is starting to look like my music room.

and that rabbit hole is called what? " Impulse GAS"?????...o_Oo_Oo_O...later.

cowboy

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Actually, I'm still on 3. I haven't gone for the upgrade though they keep trying. I think I have the "artist" level, but if you have to get an add-on to version 4 to run VSTs, I'll pass - that's super lame. VST plugins have been the standard for a decade or more. If they're pulling a Pro Tools and requiring some other format I'll have an issue with that.

I use VST plugins with S1-3 all the time without an incident, but at the moment I don't have a "guinea pig" to try installing anything new and I don't install anything on my work computer unless I absolutely need it because I can't afford to have it down.

I'm really surprised that Pulse keeps crashing so much, but I guess you get what you pay for (since you don't :)