Lesson #25 - Long Time Coming Blues (video)

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I've been playing with this lesson for a couple of months. Griff has been talking about this style of playing ("playing on the porch") for a while, and I think it's even close to what his October Challenge is about. I added a few chords to the lesson for an intro...

I decided to give it another shot with the video...it's getting easier! Of course, when I showed it to my girlfriend, she said, "Why do you guitar players move your arm around so much?" (And she imitated a rather spastic playing style). When I reviewed it, she's right! This must be another bad technique thing I got going...so many!

Long time Coming Blues (YouTube)

Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
Though I don't detect it, surely you are being facetious about the arm thing. I sure don't see any unnecessary movement. Very nicely played. I like that Fender acoustic with the Strat style headstock.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Though I don't detect it, surely you are being facetious about the arm thing. I sure don't see any unnecessary movement. Very nicely played. I like that Fender acoustic with the Strat style headstock.
Thanks, Eblues! I’ll tell her!
I’m enjoying the Fender Sonoran. I got it a few years ago to get the feel for acoustic playing. I think it would be a good “playing-out guitar,” because it projects very well (Dreadnought). But, just playing at home, I’d like a smaller body - for comfort. Fender did come out with a new line I’ll have to check out!

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Hey jmin...that was a long time coming....that was great! You pretty well nailed it form start to end. Timing, feel and touch...it's all there. Including great tone. The video quality is excellent also. You've pretty well have that mastered now as well.

Not sure about the hand moving around thing....I thought that was what good guitar players call staying in the groove and feeling the love!

Keep em coming...

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Well done jmin! I need to revisit this course, to relearn its tidbits, its been a few years since I finished it and I've only kept St. Louis Blues, Old Mississippi Blues, Mean Ol' Woman Blues, Ramblin' All My Days and So Low You Can't Hear it in my repertoire.

The guitar sounds great. Is it the raw recording or has it been processed?

Eric

Last edited:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Thanks, Eric! I can’t remember any of the solos after a week! You’re doing great!

If by “raw” recording, you mean just from the iPad, no. I recorded in Garageband while I took the video. Garageband has a pretty simple acoustic amp model that I use directly connected from a “jam” interface to the guitar. It has a compressor, reverb, “ambience” (?), and EQ. I’m glad you liked it. My hearing is pretty bad and I never really trust my ears.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
The ones I really liked I just kept playing. I am a use or lose it kind of person so if I liked it I don't want to lose it and I play it nearly every day. Luckily, except for the St. Louis Blues, they are all short.

Eric

jmin

Student Of The Blues
The ones I really liked I just kept playing. I am a use or lose it kind of person so if I liked it I don't want to lose it and I play it nearly every day. Luckily, except for the St. Louis Blues, they are all short.
Eric
The only one I did that with was Lesson 14, from BGU. I guess I can remember chords, not solos.