TrueFire - Your Private 60-Minute Shopping Spree!

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Yeah, I like Robert as well. I've got quite a few of his courses. He's really thorough and his style often fits mine. Met him at NAMM the past two years and he's a really nice guy as well.
+1 for all of those as well!! I love Robert Renman! I have a whole slew of his licks stashed on my 'puter to learn.

As I said above, I've taken some SKYPE lessons with Robert and he is a really nice guy. I'm also a lifetime member of Master Guitar Academy. The only issue that I have with Robert is he sometimes has difficulty, at least it seems, "dumbing it down" enough for me. So obviously this is an issue of where I am at in my learning rather than Robert's teaching ability. Perhaps Robert is better suited to an advanced intermediate learner rather than a late beginner. My plan is to step away from Robert's courses/forum/lessons for a while. I'm going to continue to work BGU, SARM and Corey's material for a while. Then revisit Robert's materials sometime in the future when I have progressed some. Of course, at my current rate that may be 37 years from now.:rolleyes: :giggle: But that's the plan.

Last edited:

matonanjin

I agree, but you must be careful with Brad's courses some will find you way in over your head, he does some very advanced concepts as well.
This is what I have found as well. I know there is a lot of love for Brad Carlton over at TRueFire. And it seems like he produces a course about every 7 minutes. But I bought a couple of his beginner chord/strumming courses and were going to work on them. He went through some instruction and then had a "play along". The instruction on the chords was very clear. Then he went to strumming play along and strumming pattern was something he hadn't explained or covered at all and very complex. Some arpeggiation I couldn't figure out at all. That was the end of my following Brad.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Brad Carlton is very ... thorough and disciplined... and a great player.

I saw him sit in on bass in a live session once. He was great on bass too... all around talented guy.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Brad Carlton is very ... thorough and disciplined... and a great player.
I saw him sit in on bass in a live session once. He was great on bass too... all around talented guy.

I think many of the "educators" on Truefire are talented. In addition to the others mentioned above, I particularly like Frank Vignola (jazz), Muriel Anderson (fingerstyle), David Hamburger (jazz-blues), Corey Congilio and Jeff McErlain (licks), and Matthieu Brandt (jump blues, chords/triads). Matthieu's explanations are so concise that I've taken the time to transcribe many of his videos for easy referencing.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
$208 and 14 courses later......haha Got a new course, Down Home Boogie Blues...something like that. The other 13 were Corey Congilio and Jeff McErlain. While neither one is Griff, I use their courses to augment what I get from Griff.

matonanjin

$208 and 14 courses later......haha Got a new course, Down Home Boogie Blues...something like that. The other 13 were Corey Congilio and Jeff McErlain. While neither one is Griff, I use their courses to augment what I get from Griff.
Yep. Not quite as bad for me. $175
I got Blues Jam Survival Guide by Jeff Scheetz
Jam Night by Andy Aledort
and I got three from the "In The Jam" series which really look like fun.
Two of Robben Ford's and one by Robbie Calvo.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Yep. Not quite as bad for me. $175
I got Blues Jam Survival Guide by Jeff Scheetz
Jam Night by Andy Aledort
and I got three from the "In The Jam" series which really look like fun.
Two of Robben Ford's and one by Robbie Calvo.
Now Andy Aledort is one I absolutely get lost on

JestMe

Student Of The Blues

Piebald you have great taste!!! I picked up a few myself... including Down Home Boogie and Blues... which looks like a great though challenging course...

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I picked up a few myself... including Down Home Boogie and Blues... which looks like a great though challenging course...

I picked up that one too as well as about eight more including 1-2-3 Fingerstyle (I'm determined to harness that dang thumb of mine if it kills me). Should keep me out of trouble for a couple of weeks :LOL:. At this stage, I think an investment in learning material vs equipment makes more sense (not as much fun though!).

JN99

Hang Fire
I have a bunch of TF courses, many I've barely looked at but that rarely if ever seems to stop me from adding to my collection. This sale seems well timed to coincide with my newfound interest in acoustic and fingerstyle blues. It's like they know... o_O

matonanjin

some in this thread have expressed an appreciation of Corey Congilio.

Just a heads up that he is on TrueFire Live tonight at 9 PM ET. Unfortunately the lesson is titled "Modern Country Soloing" but I am still probably going to watch it. :LOL::rolleyes:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
some in this thread have expressed an appreciation of Corey Congilio.

Just a heads up that he is on TrueFire Live tonight at 9 PM ET. Unfortunately the lesson is titled "Modern Country Soloing" but I am still probably going to watch it. :LOL::rolleyes:

IMHO Today's country is kind of like yesterdays rock! Maybe you [and I] will enjoy it. Did you watch Rick Vito... great slide guy was live with TF today.

chemeagle

Blues Newbie
I was thinking of some hard rock ala Angus Clark for a change of pace with some Attitude. Some of it will likely be a repeat of blues lessons I have already, but somewhere along the line things got gritty. I feel like some grit for a change. Lol. Scott