Palm muting

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
Lesson 2, example 5
the palm muting sounds about right, but the neck of the guitar is wobbling all over the place.
HELP

Dave

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I’m in the middle of this course...glad to see someone else is struggling with it too! Wow, a wobbly neck...gotta admit, I’ve never seen that one before. My first thought was...”Is it happening on examples 1 - 4?l Then, it’s probably a “holding the guitar issue.”
I didn’t review the video, but when you mention “palm muting,” I’m wondering if you’re pressing down (hard?) on each beat with your palm, causing the neck to move the opposite way. Try easing up and holding the mute steady...see if that helps. Good luck!

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
” I’m wondering if you’re pressing down (hard?) on each beat with your palm, causing the neck to move the opposite way.

Your right, it only happens when I am palm muting with guitar on my right thigh.
If I put the guitar on my left thigh (classical style) the neck stays steady
Will try easing up

Last edited:

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
No,
but would that help

Tried a different approach, got the neck steady while palm muting, but now the nut of the neck looks like mile away, and my shoulder burns.

If i hold guitar classical style, nut is within reach, neck is steady, no shoulder burn.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
Griff shows using a pick, i have since found everything simpler using a thumb pic, would this be considered wrong using the thumb pic, or should i force myself to use a standard pick

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Griff shows using a pick, i have since found everything simpler using a thumb pic, would this be considered wrong using the thumb pic, or should i force myself to use a standard pick
Use what works best for you! Keep that thought for all your guitar adventures. :)

Many guitar teachers demand that you do exactly as they say. Lots of guitar students loose interest in an approach that is not well suited for them.

Have you ever studied the guitar techniques used by Jerry Reed? He developed his own techniques, and had such a great sound and such fun doing it! Imagine someone teaching him how to do things "correctly"? He may have taken up the banjo instead! o_O

If what you are doing with the guitar sounds good, then it is ideal for you. How you get from here to there is your business! :)

Tom

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I remember one of my guitar teachers saying: "If you do not play the guitar exactly as I say, you will impede your progress"!

That's when I would pronounce his idea of "progress" as traveling to a bad end, and move on. I also drew a lot of beatings in Catholic school. I can't blame Irish blood, just a cantankerous attitude and a smart-ass mouth. ;)

paul wilson white

BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC
That's a great question.
I use both at the moment as I'm not sure what I like best.
I think the thumb pick is louder than just the thumb but that maybe just my lack of technic.
Also when I use my thumb I tend to hit other strings more than if I use the thumb pick again all in the palm muting I guess

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
That's a great question.
I think the thumb pick is louder than just the thumb but that maybe just my lack of technic.
Also when I use my thumb I tend to hit other strings more than if I use the thumb pick again all in the palm muting I guess

i hear you, when i first started using the thumb pick it was loud and i hated it, but for some reason it gets me to palm mute, as for the volume now i attack the string less

Martintrini

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
That's a great question.

Exact same thing that happens to me too. Still trying to sort it all out.

paul wilson white

BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC
I have a video of a lady called Etta baker who is the Queen of piedmont blues.
Her finger style playing and feel is the best.
She is 1000 times better than Clapton and tommy Emmanuel on an acoustic playing blues.
I will did it out and post it.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have enjoyed Piedmont Blues, since 1946, when I was four years old. Another person known for Piedmont Blues was Josh White. He had a television bit which was 15 minutes, once a week, in the early 1950's, shown on the East and West Coast, but not allowed to be shown in the Mid West, or Southern portion of the United States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hnuJZt7Mvk

Etta Baker is well known for her song, "Freight Train". Her guitar style is her own, and she was a most delightful person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJTBRkLhttQ

I still enjoy playing Piedmont Blues, and it is but one of the many styles available, but not too popular. I just like good music, and good people! :)

Tom

Last edited: