Solo #1

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
Solo #1 is in "G" and the song "Further on up the road" is in the key of G. Does that mean this solo will fit and sound good for a 24 bar solo in this song?

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Will it sound good? Specifically, it is up to the ears of the listener. I have not attempted to join the two pieces of music you have suggested. If you have, do you like it? That is what is important.

In my view, there should be some cohesion between the musical phrases of a song. There are many approaches such as question/answer, call/response, etc.

Tom

Randy S

Blues Junior
There is a problem with putting them together. BGU Solo 1 is a straight feel and Further On Up The Road is a shuffle. So you will need to "swing" Solo 1 or it will not be quite in time. Solo 3 is a shuffle so it probably would work better- it is in A so just move everything two frets toward the nut and you will be in G.

Randy S

Blues Junior
There is a problem with putting them together. BGU Solo 1 is a straight feel and Further On Up The Road is a shuffle. So you will need to "swing" Solo 1 or it will not be quite in time. Solo 3 is a shuffle so it probably would work better- it is in A so just move everything two frets toward the nut and you will be in G.
I just realized you were asking about SWS Solo1 and I answered for BGU Solo 1. I looked up SWS Solo 1 and it is also straight feel so the same problem. Try the SWS Solo 1 Shuffle Blues in F (page 36), which is just Solo 1 in a shuffle feel and moved to F, and move everything two frets toward the bridge to go from F to G. I think that would work better for you.

Last edited:

JohnFreel

just keep playin'...
I've been playing around with solo 1 - the funk blues in G, and almost have it down note for note. But its honestly more fun for me (and really, I can't seem to help it) to improvise with the jam track using those same notes. Is this a "bad" thing, or the logical next step?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
IT's the next logical step.
I completed BGU, but it wasn't until I got part way through SWS that I really felt comfortable just making stuff up on the fly.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Solo #1 is in "G" and the song "Further on up the road" is in the key of G. Does that mean this solo will fit and sound good for a 24 bar solo in this song?

Short answer: Yes.

In fact, here's an example of me playing Solo #1 over a "Further On Down The Road" backing track.

I haven't looked at this course in quite awhile so it's kind of rough, but you'll get the point.

It's still in G, so you only have to change the "feel" of the solo.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/bfgmt1g3ovzhvzq/SWS Solo #1.mp3?dl=0

(I noodled a couple of extra choruses using the 4 note pattern. Sometimes you just can't help it.)

Here's the backing track if you'd like to download it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/2s2a7q02m64xzc6/Eric_Clapton_-_Further_up_on_the_road.mp3?dl=0

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Also just noticed that Solo #1 in F (p 36) is a shuffle at the same tempo as the Backing Track to "Further on up the road" I posted.